Sunday, May 03, 2009

Silver Comet Trail: Cedartown, GA (Day 3)

So, here's the entry for the third day, a week late.

We started from Martin trailhead (53.41) at the west edge of Cedartown and rode west toward the Alabama border. We got started around 8:15 am, even with packing and checking out of the hotel. Again, the weather was pleasant, clear and cool.

Between Cedartown and the Alabama border, the trail is very flat. We only had around 8 miles to miles to ride, about an hour's worth, so we arrived around 9:15.

I took pictures on the way back, starting at the state line, so this one shows the arch on the state line, looking back toward Georgia from Alabama. That's why the arch is in the shade and difficult to see -- the camera is facing the sun in the east.


Here's the arch viewed from the east, looking westward from Georgia:


This picnic shelter is just over the line into Alabama, on the south side of the trail.


And this view is looking down the Chief Ladiga trail into Alabama.


Here we are (well, some of us, anyway), just ready to start back for Cedartown. We headed back around 9:45.


This is the mile marker closest to the state line on the Georgia side. It's by a trail head called Esom Hill and the mileage is 61.25. Since Esom Hill is about .3 miles from the state line (according to the trail documentation online), there's about 61.5 miles of trail in Georgia.


There were a couple of these bridges with a sidewalk along one side. I wondered if they're left over from the railroad days. Why else would the sidewalk be there on one side of the bridge?


We saw lots of fire ant mounds alongside the trail. Some of them were pretty big.


Pedaling down the trail...


Mile marker 57. Not sure why I was moved to snap this shot as I went by...


More fire ant hills, I think...


Usually, benches beside the trail are positioned facing the trail. This bench was positioned facing the creek. Perhaps it's so you can fish from the bench?


This stump was sticking up from the one of the swampy places we passed.


This was the biggest puddle we saw on the trail in both days of riding.


More wetland beside the trail.


Mile marker 56. Shot it for the same reason I shot mile marker 57 above.


At a rest stop almost all the way back, I noticed this old rail still in the ground.


This is the spur trail that links the main trail to the Martin trailhead. The main trail is on the other side of the bridge in the picture. The bridge carries the highway and the spur runs under the bridge to reach the main trail. The Martin trailhead parking lot is just behind me as I was taking this picture.


Here's the marker for the trailhead.


We had a lovely time.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home