Monday, September 08, 2008

GTTC: Day 8

Last time we were at the Flamingo, the entrance was being reconstructed. This time it was all done. There's now a projector under the entrance awning that projects the hotel's logo on the floor. Here's a picture:



We got an earlier start than usual this morning -- about 6:00 am. Boy, did we feel virtuous!

Here's a picture of Sacramento's early morning skyline as we approached it a little before 8:00:



Here are several pictures of Nevada scenery. I think they're all after we crossed out of California. Well, I don't know. There are trees in this first one, and they were mostly in California.



This could've been California as well -- see the trees?



I'm sure this was Nevada. I was noticing the salt flat, like Utah.



More Nevada desert scenery.



Can you read the sign? It's a little bitty place called "Mote".



This is the Nevada Fire Science Academy. Not sure whether they study making them or putting them out or both. I thought it was a prison at first because of the tower. I thought it looked like a guard tower.



I-80 goes through a tunnel! I think there's another one tomorrow.



So tonight we're in Elko, Nevada. We got here about 3:00 pm this afternoon and walked down the street to a grocery store for some watermelon, potatos, and a can opener.

I monitored the elevation on my handheld GPS receiver throughout the day today. It appears that most of Nevada is between 4000 and 5000 feet in elevation. Elko is actually a shade over 5000 according to wikipedia.
We'll see what the camera captures tomorrow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home