Saturday, September 06, 2008

GTTC: Days 5-7

We're in California!

I didn't manage to take any pictures yesterday driving through western Nevada and California, some of the most specatcular scenery of the trip. Perhaps I'll get some on our way back next week.

In any case, soon after we crossed the border from Nevada into California, we drove over Donner Summit at 7240 feet elevation. The original Donner Pass is about two miles away and about 150 lower, but the interstate takes the higher route beacuse it made construction of the highway easier.

Descending on the California side, there was an elevation sign every 1000 feet so we could track our progress all the way down to Santa Rosa's 164 feet above sea level. As our elevation decreased the outside temperature increased. By the time we reached Santa Rosa, the car's thermometer had hit 101. Getting out of the car felt like stepping into an oven, but it wasn't the humid, sticky heat we feel so often in the southeast. It was more like an oven.

Coming into Santa Rosa, we stopped by Whole Foods Market and picked up some supplies for the trip home. That will save us some time on the way out of town Monday. Then Karen let me stop by a bike shop for a while since we had an hour or so before Dr. McDougall's registration period would begin. I got addresses and phone numbers for all the bike shops in town during evenings on the road on the way here and plan to spend some time this afternoon visiting them and learning all I can. I might even buy some bike shoes and pannier bags for carrying stuff on my bike.

We got to the hotel about 2:30, 30 minutes or so into the registration period. It was fun to be coming back to a familiar place, with familiar people. It was even more fun when those people recognized us and were happy to see us. Really made us feel like part of the inner circle.

The food is yummy as always. Last night we had sweet potatoes with peanut sauce (something new that is very tasty), lasagna (not my favorite, but Karen likes it a lot), and other old faithfuls. This morning breakfast was very good and satisfying -- oatmeal with fruit, rice and potatoes, French toast, etc.

I probably won't post again until Monday evening on the way back. I hope everything is well in our absence. We'll see you soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home